GpsOrienteering is a location-based orienteering app, which uses the geographical location of the user’s device. It also contains a user management system to give the user control over the recorded and stored location data.
The user privacy is important to us and we have implemented a number of functions to balance the desire to share event results with others and to provide control over the personal location data.
The following personal data is handled by the Gps Orienteering system:
- Email and password is used to identify a registered user. The user management system used by GpsOrienteering is a commercial user management system.
- If a user participates in an event race without being a registered user the user will be a so called guest user.
- The location of the user’s device is used in a background service during an event race. The location is used to determine if the user is visiting control points (so called punching) and the location is continuously recorded to later on be able to show which path the user has selected to follow to find the different control points.
- For guest users and registered users the event result will be stored locally in the mobile device. The event result contains location data and consists of the control points visited and the path taken between the control points.
- For a registered user the event result is also stored in a cloud storage. Each registered user has its own private storage for event results that only the user can access.
- Both registered users and guest users can publish their event result to make it accessible by other users. The user can select to publish only the control points visited or the complete path. The event results for one event course is protected by a unique course id. Other users can access the published data if he/she knows the course id.
- A user, both a registered and a guest user, can revoke his/her published event result whenever he/she wants. After revocation of an event result the location data will no longer be accessible by other users.
- A user can also permanently delete his/her event results, both from the mobile device and the private cloud storage.
We do not use any personal data (e.g. location data or email addresses) for any other purpose than for functionaly within the Gps Orienteering system. We do not sell any personal data to other companies.
Last updated February 7, 2021